This one’s for all our MOCHI lovers. 🙂
Making the perfect MOCHI ICE CREAM is not as difficult as you may imagine. Follow a few simple steps below to get it right on the first try!
First you will need:
- Vanilla Ice Cream (or flavour of your choice)
- Strawberries (optional)
- 1 cup GLUTINOUS RICE FLOUR
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar (for a smooth texture use icing sugar)
- corn starch for dusting
- Parchment paper (lunch wrap)
- Plastic wrap (cling wrap)
- Ice cream scoop
- 9-10cm diameter cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- Plastic Spatula
- Microwavable Mixing Bowl
- Cupcake/Muffin tray
Now that you have gathered everything you need, lets get started. 🙂
Step 1: making the Ice Cream balls
- Line cupcake/muffin tray with parchment paper.
- Scoop up 12 round balls of ice cream.
- Place each ball into individual cups.
- (optional: add sliced strawberry to each ball of ice cream.)
- Set ice cream balls aside in the freezer.
Step 2: making the MOCHI
- Sift flour and sugar in bowl and whisk together.
- Add water slowly and stir until smooth.
(optional: Add a tsp of MATCHA powder to make MATCHA MOCHI)
Step 3: cooking the MOCHI
- Cover MOCHI mixture with plastic wrap and pop into the microwave for 1 minute.
- Use damp plastic spatula to stir until it is smooth, cover with plastic wrap and pop back into the microwave for another minute.
- Give it a stir, cover with plastic wrap and pop back into the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Give it a stir, and pop back into microwave for a final 30 seconds.
Step 4: rolling the MOCHI
- Lay out some parchment paper and dust with corn starch to prevent the MOCHI from sticking.
- Drop the MOCHI onto the parchment paper and let it rest until it is cool enough for you to roll.
- Use your hands to flatten the MOCHI, and roll it out using the rolling pin.
- Use your cutter to cut 12 circles from the rolled MOCHI.
- Leave it to set in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
Step 5: Making the MOCHI ice cream balls
- Place each round MOCHI skin onto individually cut plastic wrap (cling wrap)
- Make MOCHI ice cream individually by removing the ice cream ball from the freezer and placing it in the middle of the round MOCHI skin.
- Stretch MOCHI skin around the ice cream ball and pinch on the top to seal it.
- Use plastic wrap (cling wrap) to mould the MOCHI ice cream into a perfectly shaped ball in the palms of your hand.
Step 6: enjoy your MOCHI ice cream with family and friends 🙂